Nothing fits a fall side dish better than this Cauliflower Rice and Broccoli Gratin! Traditionally, this side features rice and a cheese sauce that would definitely be a treat. But, some easy veggie swaps make this a dish you can weave into your meal plan, always.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup + 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, divided use
- ¾ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces (or 3 cups cauliflower rice)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided use
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup gluten-free arrowroot
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided use
- 2 cups cooked broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped (for garnish; optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Lightly coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with spray. Set aside.
- To make vegan cheese, place cashews, 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, ¼ tsp. salt, and garlic powder in food processor; pulse until mixture forms a fine meal. Set aside.
- Place half of cauliflower in food processor; pulse until cauliflower is chopped into pieces about the size of rice. Repeat with the other half. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add arrowroot; cook, whisking frequently, for 1 minute.
- Slowly add almond milk; cook, whisking frequently, for 2 minutes, or until well blended. Sauce may be a little lumpy.
- Place almond milk mixture, remaining ¼ cup nutritional yeast, ½ cup vegan cheese, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper in blender, in small batches; cover with lid and a kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
- Return almond milk mixture to same skillet; cook, over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat if sauce gets too thick. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower and broccoli; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine cauliflower mixture, ¼ cup vegan cheese, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, and remaining ¼ tsp. pepper in a large bowl; mix well.
- Add almond milk mixture; mix well. Place in prepared baking dish.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
Where have you added cauliflower rice into your meal planning? It is SO versatile, I’d love to hear how you’re using it!