Ready for some “Make and Take” meal prep inspo? How does Mac n’ Cheese sound? 🤤 Delicious!
Butternut Squash Mac n’ Cheese
Servings 10 (Prep and freeze half for another week)
- 1 lb. dry whole-wheat macaroni
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1¾ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Finely chopped fresh parsley (for garnish; optional)
Preheat the oven to 375° F. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Set aside. Combine squash, broth, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; gently boil for 22 to 25 minutes, or until squash is tender. Place squash mixture in a blender or food processor; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth. Combine squash mixture, macaroni, onion mixture, yogurt, and cheeses. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling. Garnish with parsley if desired.
If you’re a part of my online fitness community, here is how this recipe works in your nutrition plan! If not, email me, and let’s chat more!
Container Equivalents: ½ Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Blue
2B Mindset Plate It! An FFC as part of lunch.