Is there anything more comforting than a burger and fries? 🍔 It gives me such nostalgic vibes, but I also know it’s nothing I can indulge in every day if I want to keep up with my wellness goals. This recipe has all the comfort vibes + introduces a new turnip fry recipe!
- Parchment paper
- 2 large turnips, peeled, cut into approx. ½ x 4-inch sticks
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder, divided use
- 1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, divided use
- 1 (4-oz.) raw (or frozen) lean ground beef patty
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ whole-grain hamburger bun (optional)
- ¼ medium ripe avocado, mashed
- Fresh tomato salsa (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. Combine turnips and oil in a medium bowl; mix well.
4. Add 1 dash garlic powder, salt, and 1 dash pepper; toss gently to blend.
5. Spread turnips evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 42 to 45 minutes, or until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
6. While turnips are baking, season patty with remaining 1 dash garlic powder and remaining 1 dash pepper. Set aside.
7. Heat small nonstick skillet (or nonstick grill pan), lightly coated with spray, over medium-high heat.
8. Add patty; cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle. (Cooking a frozen patty might take longer.)
9. Top bun with avocado, patty, and salsa (if desired); serve immediately with turnip fries and enjoy!
This recipe has me drooling! I’m thinking all of this would be perfect in an air fryer, too. Do you have a favorite air fryer experience? I’d love to hear about it and give your idea a try!